Pointblank Str. 14, 54321, California
Situated in the Sarthe Valley at Saint Jean du Bois (Saint John’s forest), 5 kms from La Suze and 25 kms from Le Mans.
In 1479, the lands of La Houssaye were heard of for the first time by Jehan Samson, the Kitchen Esquire of his Lord Charles IV, Count of Maine and Duke of Anjou (1436-1484),
In 1684, the castle was brought as a dowry by Anne-Antoinette THE PRIEST, the lady of the chapel of REASON, to her husband and 1st cousin Jacques of GAIGNON, Lord of Villaines in Louplande.
The castle, was resold several times, and then bought in 1704 by Mr Sauquaire, Officer of the king’s house.
In 1789, Martial Sauquaire–Souligné inherited.
The latter, a statesman, ex–member of the Convention, conspired with La Houssaye against the monarchy with the complicity of Goyet, Benjamin Constant and Lafayette, deputy of La Sarthe.
Having failed, he fled to England in August 1823, to escape the sentence.
His cousin, Alfonso Leon Chamillart, Marquis de la Suze, page of Louis XVIII, then acquired the castle, enlarged it by adding two round towers flanked by four towers. It is now a beautiful house built on a hillside overlooking two large lakes and the broad valley of the Sarthe.
In 1881, Victory Chamillart became the owner, after her untimely death, her husband, Harscouet St Georges returned to his family home in Nantes and sold the castle to Count Bonvouloir in 1919.
In 1958, Countess of Bonvouloir sold the castle to the intercommunal syndicat.
The castle was purchased by Mr Jean Louis Ferré in 2000.